Sarasota DUI Lawyer
Law enforcement has the right to pull over to the side of the road any driver suspected of driving under the influence.
Officers can request the driver perform certain sobriety and breathalyzer tests. A refusal can result in an automatic one-year driver's license suspension. A sobriety test consists of simple mental and physical tasks that the driver must perform.
If the officers believe the driver is unable to pass the field sobriety test, then a breathalyzer test may be the next action.
A driver with a blood alcohol measure of 0.08% or higher is deemed to be legally drunk, and too impaired to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
An individual charged with a DUI should contact a Sarasota criminal lawyer for legal assistance and guidance as to the correct steps to take following a serious DUI criminal charge.
The Miller Law Firm, P.A. defends all types of misdemeanor and felony DUI cases.
Sarasota DUI Penalties
Once officers pull over a suspected driver, they are gathering information and looking for open alcohol containers, presence of minors in the vehicle, and carefully noting the behavior of the driver.
Many factors can influence a DUI case and the extent of penalties issued at sentencing. Multiple DUI convictions, traffic accidents with injuries or fatalities, or a hit and run can increase DUI penalties considerably.
An individual faces the loss of certain rights and freedoms if convicted of a DUI. It is crucial to seek legal representation from an experienced defense attorney who can protect clients' rights during all phases of a DUI criminal action.
Penalties for DUI convictions can include:
- Jail time, probation, and/or fines.
- Driver's license suspension, vehicle impound.
- Ignition interlock device.
- DUI classes, alcohol evaluation and treatment programs.
How Likely is Jail Time for First DUI in Florida?
A first DUI conviction in Florida can result in up to six months in jail. However, the time can vary depending on the severity of the case. For example, if your blood alcohol content (BAC) is over 0.15 or if there is a minor in your vehicle, the fine will be between $1,000 and $2,000. You face up to nine months imprisonment.
A felony DUI conviction can result in prison and increased penalties. When facing serious charges than can adversely affect the future of the suspected DUI offender it is essential to have an effective and aggressive legal defense.
Attorney Scott Miller, our firm's DUI lawyer in Sarasota, FL, knows how the DMV hearings and criminal court systems work and how to get results for his clients. Make an appointment today for a consultation with a DUI defense attorney.
What is the 10-Day Rule for DUI in Florida?
In Florida, the 10-day rule is a time frame after arrest for a DUI that allows drivers to maintain some or all of their driving privileges. After the tenth day, your driver's license will either have a full suspension, be suspended with work privileges, or be reinstated—depending on your actions.
Florida DUI charges can be dismissed for several reasons, including:
- Reasonable doubt
- Violation of constitutional rights
- Medical conditions
- Vehicle codes
- Refusing a breathalyzer test or blood draw
- Record of arrest
- Taking a plea deal
- Participating in a pre-trial diversion program
- Insufficient evidence
- Misleading statements from a police officer
What Can a DUI Attorney Do For Me?
Hiring a lawyer for a DUI charge in Florida is strongly recommended. This recommendation is because of the complexity of the law and the potentially severe consequences.
A first-time DUI in Florida is a serious matter. A Florida defense attorney with experience handling DUI defense cases can make a big difference in your first case.
Here are some of the things The Miller Law Firm, P.A. can do for you:
Legal Knowledge and Expertise:
- DUI attorneys have a deep understanding of DUI laws, regulations, and procedures in your jurisdiction. They can assess the strength of the case against you and identify potential legal defenses or issues that may work in your favor.
- DUI attorneys will work with you to develop a defense strategy tailored to your specific case. This strategy may include challenging the validity of the traffic stop, the accuracy of field sobriety tests, the reliability of breath or blood tests, or other evidence in your case.
Protection of Your Rights:
- An attorney will ensure that your constitutional rights are upheld throughout the legal process. They can help protect you from unlawful searches and seizures, ensure due process is followed, and protect your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.
Negotiation with Prosecutors:
- DUI attorneys can negotiate with prosecutors on your behalf to potentially reduce the charges or penalties you face. They may be able to secure a plea bargain that minimizes the impact of a DUI conviction.
- If your case goes to trial, a DUI attorney can represent you in court. They will present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and argue on your behalf to secure the best possible outcome.
Knowledge of Florida Laws:
- Florida laws vary from state to state, and they can be complex. A DUI attorney is well-versed in the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction, helping you navigate the legal landscape effectively.
Evaluation of Evidence:
- Attorneys can carefully review the evidence against you, including police reports, chemical test results, witness statements, and video recordings, to identify weaknesses or errors that can be challenged in court.
Minimization of Penalties:
- A DUI attorney can work to minimize the potential penalties associated with a DUI conviction, such as fines, license suspension, mandatory alcohol education programs, probation, or jail time.
Driver's License Suspension:
- If your driver's license is at risk of suspension due to a DUI arrest, an attorney can help you navigate the administrative hearing process to challenge the suspension and, in some cases, help you retain your driving privileges.
- Florida DUI attorneys can provide you with legal advice throughout the entire process, helping you make informed decisions about your case.
Clear Your Head, Secure Your Future: Work With the Top DUI Lawyers in Sarasota, Florida
It's important to consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible after being charged with a DUI criminal crime, as there may be strict deadlines and processes to follow.
Having professional legal representation can greatly impact the outcome of your DUI case and ensure that your rights are protected.
Contact a Sarasota criminal defense lawyer for legal representation with your DUI case.
At The Miller Law Firm, P.A., your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our clients have to say about working with us.
Scott is such a great guy ! His love for his clients is genuine and with that being said he is an amazing fighter as well ! The prosecutor was trying to give me 9 month's and Scott would not accept that deal ! He kept fighting and pushing for a better deal and he got four month's knocked off and also got me ann extra month of time served credit towards my Sarasota case , He was also nice enough to drive an hour away to represent me in my Port Charlotte case as well , Another important thing that i want to mention is that when you call him he will call you back that same day that means alot to not only me but my family who was worried about my situation , Alot of these attorneys do not do that because all they cared about was getting your money , If you need a great attorney give Scott a call and have him represent you ! You will not regret it !- Robert B.
Scott and Holly were both incredible to me. They understood what I wanted and helped me get the outcome I wanted. Communicating with them was simple and it was super easy to reach them.- Sarahi E.
Scott was quick and settled the case in an unbelievable amount of time.- Julie K.
He is well respected and will fight to see justice served.- Lyle T.
This is the place to come for help.- Andrea C.
Five-Star service from start to finish.- Marlene V.
Scott did a wonderful job and I found him to be professional, kind, communicative, and honest throughout the handling of our case. The outcome for us was better than we could have hoped for and I credit Scott's tenacity and creative perseverance for the results.- Melissa R.
Mr. Miller called me back the same day and took the time to listen to my issue. He advised me accordingly and in a way I understood for the best outcome. Very thankful he was there to help. I highly recommend him.- Leanne L.
Dropped 1st Appearance
Charge Reduced 1st Degree Felony Drug Trafficking charge
Charge Reduced 1st Degree Felony Drug Trafficking charge
2012 CF 1875
No Charges Filed Aggravated Assault